Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Why do we say such things?

Have you ever wondered where certain phrases or sayings came from? I do. I am sure that at some point in history these sayings were relevant or at least the people using them knew why they were used in the context they are. Most people however, do not know the origin of these expressions. Which brings me back to..why do we use sayings that do not make sense to us...or maybe it's just me.

Happy as a clam...are clams happy?...can they physiologically feel emotions?...and if so, should we really be eating them??

A basket case...I know what this means..but logically isn't this a case for a basket? That is a little redundant yes?

By the skin of your teeth...eewww..I mean.....just eewww

Cold turkey...Yum, cold turkey sandwiches the day after thanksgiving..mmmm....oh, sorry I got distracted. I love food.

Get your dander up....huh? dander...like pet dander or dandruff? I guess it would be aggravating if your dandruff was up...*shrug*

To hell in a hand basket...There are probably worse ways to get to hell, but that would still be pretty uncomfortable..who is carrying the basket? are they swinging it while they walk...I may get motion sickness(it would have to be someone big and strong carrying a ginormous basket to hoist my heavy behind!)

Mind your P's and Q's....be on your best behavior....what do letters have to do with my behavior? Am I being graded?? Will there be a test? I didn't even study!

The whole 9 yards....9 yards, that's like 27 feet right?(math was never my strongest subject) It really isn't that far. I don't think that is much to be proud of. Now if it was the whole 9,000 yards, there is something to brag about.

Just some random thoughts I wanted to share. There are thousands of other sayings and phrases I don't quite understand...but then again I can be a little slow catching on sometimes, so if you know how these relate to the way we use them, please enlighten me.(I hate being the last to know)

Krista

No comments:

Post a Comment